Choosing to be a commerce student

March 24, 2011

With science stream given so much importance by everyone, it is important to know that there are other streams available, which can build up a beautiful career. Commerce is one such stream which is opening up more and more avenues for students of the new generation. There is no place/firm in this world which does not make use of the services of an accountant. As such, people to take care of one’s finances are in high demand. A student who would like to become an accountant, can opt for the commerce stream. Class 11 and class 12 are the foundation courses which will help you shape your future in the stream of your choice.

Subjects :

There are many combinations available for a commerce student in the 11th and 12th. They are :

1. Accountancy,  Business Studies, Economics, History
  2. Accountancy,  Business Studies, Economics, Mathematics
  3. Accountancy,  Business Studies, Economics, Statistics
  4. Accountancy,  Business Studies, Economics, Computer Science

The above given list is just indicative of the subjects offered by various pre-universities. You can have any combination of the above given subjects. As you can see, accountancy and business studies are mandatory subjects and will be available for any option you take.

Scope/ Career options:After completing your 12th, comes the time when you have to choose your career path. You can take up the following:

1. B.Com – Bachelor of Commerce (3yrs). This is the first option available for any student from the commerce stream. Being a commerce graduate qualifies one to be a part of the financial world. This course imparts knowledge about the various accounting techniques followed, the fundamentals and concepts of business administration, finance, and economics.
  2. BBA/BBM – Bachelor of Business Administration/Management (3 yrs). This course is designed to help the students learn entrepreneurship skills; develop managerial skills and helps in nurturing the leadership qualities of a student.

After completing your graduation in commerce, you can go ahead with specializing in a particular area. The post graduate courses which one can take up are Masters in Business Administration (MBA), Cost Accountancy (ICWA), Chartered Accountancy(CA), Company Secretary ship(CS), which are professional courses. This will give you an option to establish yourself in the field of accountancy and finance. One can find that a commerce student can be absorbed by financial institutions, Consultancy Firms, Tax practitioners, manufacturing firms, etc.

41 Responses to Choosing to be a commerce student

1. ovais ansari on April 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    this great work

2. ayush vijayvargiya on April 22, 2011 at 7:35 am

i want to ask 1 question that , what subject should i take in 11th with commerce in optional if i want to do MBA by cracking CAT . if i don’t take maths as optional then would it be really difficult to do so. and if i m interested in doing the post graduate course of chartered accountancy then should i take maths as optional .is there any need of maths of 11th and 12th in all the CA exams.

• Snehal on April 25, 2011 at 3:39 am

Hi Ayush,

CAT is all about cracking verbal , apti and logical reasoning. So you need to have a good understanding and practise of mathematics. Therefore, it is essential that you have a good mastery on math. Similarly, C.A also requires good understanding and practise in math. So its better if you choose math in your 11th grade.

• Annpurna on June 9, 2011 at 5:55 pm

If u r preparing 4 c.a.den maths is nt compulsory.only in c.p.t exam u have 2 prepare 4 it,which is also objective type paper.ya!bt u must command well on a/cs.

• pady on June 10, 2011 at 3:47 am

Hi Anu,
          CPT is Common Proficiency Test and is an entry level test for Chartered Accountancy Course. Though mathematics is not compulsory, you will have to be good at accounts and the corresponding subjects. Good luck to you.

3. Ayush on July 29, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I’ve to do BBA (ENTREPRENEURSHIP) in future….
    so..
    1- Is it necessary to take maths in 11th?
    2- is there entrepreneurship subject as optional subject in 11th?
    3- will it suffer in future for BBA (ENTREPRENEURSHIP) if I take phe as optional subject to decrease the burden to score well in other subjects?

please suggest me..
    I’m damn confused!

4. chahat on August 2, 2011 at 1:04 am

i am in 10th std and i am worried that what should i take afteere 10th…… iam little week in maths so please suggest me any course that would not include maths and gives pleasure

• pady on August 2, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Hello dear,
      There are many streams which do not require you to take up math. Commerce or arts could be the best option available for you. There are a few articles which you can read through in our blog, that talks about the various career options in the science, commerce and arts stream. Pleasure lies in the mind and you will need to make the choice between what is pleasure and what is interesting.
      Take a look at the articles and get back to me if you still have any doubts.
      All the very best,
      Pady

5. sonam on October 28, 2011 at 9:23 am

plz tell me wat to do rght now i m in 12th commerce wid maths but now i wish to become physciatrist is it possible for me
    if yes then how can i go ahead for it n if no thn wat shall i choose next option plz help me out of it ?////

• pady on October 28, 2011 at 9:51 am

Hi Sonam,
      I would suggest that you complete your class 12 in the commerce stream and take up B.A (psychology) in your graduate level. The eligibility for B.A (psychology) is pass in higher secondary from any stream. So good luck with your future.

6. shivangi kamdar on November 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm

hey…i m still a 10th standard average student
    will you plz help me as i knw that i will go into commerce with maths
    but after that what will be best for me?

• pady on November 14, 2011 at 5:25 am

Hi Shivangi.
      You can choose B.Com which is easy and good and follow it by a post graduation in MBA.
      All the best,
      Padmaja

7. adhiraj on December 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm

dear sir/madam

i am having commerce without maths but i having informatics praticses
    so wts be my good carrer for me after completing 12 which courses i can do with have demand in future and is a good option
    i am waiting for my answere as early as possible
    adhiraj

• pady on January 3, 2012 at 9:46 am

Hi Adhiraj,
      Informatics Practices is a new subject which has been included for CBSE students in their class 11 and 12. In this subject, you will gain knowledge about the way the computer works and various other things related to a computer. You will learn debugging, developing programs etc which can be a start of a new career avenue. Soon after your class 12 exam, you can either opt for B.Sc (computer science) or continue with B.Com.
      All the best,
      Padmaja

8. Aalam on March 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Hey,I am in Class 10…
    I am an average student, and i m opting for comm wid maths…After i pass my 12th…wat should i go for??…b.com or BBA??…Plz Help me Out…I M WAITING!!..

• pady on March 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Hi Aalam,
      Being an average student is not wrong. All that matters is how much interested you are in B.Com or BBA. Take up either of the subjects and excel in them, else explore the other opportunities available for students.
      Regards,
      Padmaja

9. Athasva Sinha on March 27, 2012 at 11:15 am

I’m in 10..and i want 2 know that which sub has brighter career in future.?

• pady on March 28, 2012 at 6:16 am

Hi Athasva,
      There is no subject as a bright subject and has a bright future. Looking at the way we are progressing towards a better tomorrow, any subject you choose is a good subject, because there are many opportunities that come up in every field. As a person you would have dreamt of something for your future. What is it? Choose the stream of studies based on your interests and dreams.
      All the best,
      Cheers,
      Padmaja

10. somya on March 27, 2012 at 6:25 pm

hi ,i really need ur help

iam a gud student.im gud in every subject…i dnt know wht to take aftr 10. i ws thinking to do mass communication….wht shud i choose for it…hoping fr ur help
    thx

• pady on March 28, 2012 at 6:37 am

Hi Somya,
      You can take up any stream of studies to build your career in mass communication in class 11-12. However, in your graduate studies, you will need to enroll for mass communication course that is being offered by colleges/universities. Many colleges conduct entrance tests for the same.
      If you are a CBSE student, then you can start your journey in mass communication by taking up the course known as ‘Mass Media Studies’ in your class 11th. Its an elective/vocational subject which help to know the basics.
      All the best,
      Padmaja

11. Parth on March 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Hi, I jst gt into class 11 and have commerce with ip, as i do hav a lot of interest in computer science but is it necessary to be good in maths if i hav to go towards the IT field, because im vary interestd in it, and can anyone tell me about more career options with these subjects.

• pady on April 10, 2012 at 4:00 am

Hi Parth,
      Informatics Practice is a subject which enhances your knowledge about computers. So, you can pursue your career in the computer field going forward.
      All the best,
      Pady

12. vijay kushwaha on April 2, 2012 at 10:26 am

Sir i have completed my 12th commerce with accountancy , busines studies , Economics, Eng and most imoportantly INFORMATICS PRACTICES .
    I want to choose BEST SUITABLE career with commerce + INFORMATICS PRACTICES.
    I have extreme interest in computer.
    I am not satisfied with answer u prove 2 ADHIRAJ.
    PLZ provide best suitable answer with latest demand..
    Also i want 2 opt BBA+IP if possible…
    Reply soon m waiting extremely..

• pady on April 10, 2012 at 3:49 am

Hi Vijay,
      Informatics Practices is a subject in the commerce stream which can help you build on your knowledge about computers. Since you are keen on computers, I suggest that you take up computer stream for your graduation.
      Hope this helps,
      Pady

• Vijay kushwaha on April 21, 2012 at 4:51 am

Thnx sir for your advice about INFORMATICS PRACTICES ..
        but i don’t want 2 left my commerce stream.
        Sir can you plz tell me what is best BBA or B.com at graduation level.
        What is best without and with doing MBA ..
        I know it depend on our interest. But i want 2 know in which line i get more job opportunity with MBA OR without MBA.

OR
        my cell phöne +919799770857

13. BHUMIKA on April 4, 2012 at 7:52 pm

hie…..I am confused about what to take in 11th (science or commerce)….I am good in maths and chemistry but the concepts of physics are very weak on the other side i am interested in economics and maths…but I love chemistry and I don’t know what should I take….please give your advice I really need it….and I am also scared for CA as I have listen that it is really difficult and few students pass the exams at first attempt…..and I don’t wat to spend 8-10 years doing CA…..so please tell me what should i do……

• pady on April 10, 2012 at 3:33 am

Good morning Bhumika,
      I can understand how confusing it can be while one has to decide on a choice of stream for Class 11. Since you are so confused, my first question to you is – What do you aspire to become in future? Answer this question and then work your way towards achieving it, by choosing the apt subject stream. More than what you like, in this case, it is what you aspire for that is important. Once you get that worked out, everything else will fall into place.
      Please note that CA is not as tough as everyone thinks. There are many people who have cleared the subjects in the first 2 attempts. All it needs is a strong determination and 100% efforts to make your dreams come true, irrespective of the stream that you choose.
      Cheers,
      All the best,
      Pady

14. Abhinav.S on May 24, 2012 at 7:54 am

Hey!!

I have just passed 10th std with a CGPA of 10.0. I have decided to do Humanities in IIT Madras. What group should i take in 11th?
    I also want to know if it has good job opportunities. Also, if i take commerce with maths in 11th what are the branches available for a great future apart from doing B.com, BBA , CA, ICWA etc..??
    If i have fixed my entry gate as taking commerce in 11th and aiming to do Humanities in IITM… then what should if fix my exit gate as ??? Also, what are the other fall backs that i can choose?? I require your help. i am waiting for your reply.

Thanks,
    Abhinav.S

• pady on June 26, 2012 at 4:38 am

Hi Abhinav,
      Am sorry, but we will not be able to help you in detail about the various career streams.
      ICWA, CA, MBA are some of the streams in the commerce stream which can help you achieve success.
      Cheers,

15. mousumi patro on June 2, 2012 at 3:37 am

I have just passed the icse board exams and now i m confused for which stream to choose. actually i m interested in the commerce stream but ihave just 76 marks in maths, average in all the science subjects is 74 AND COMPUTER IS 86.so plz tell that am i really fit to choose this stream?if yes what profession should i choose in the future?

• pady on June 26, 2012 at 4:42 am

Hi,
      You can take up commerce with computers as they seem to be your fav choice of subjects. Also, there are many options available, a few of which are given below.
      1. developing tools for accounting.
      2. ICWA, CA, MBA etc.
      The list is vast for those who are willing to explore.
      All the best,

16. sandhya on August 9, 2012 at 10:00 am

i am confused.. i m doing ma 11th with commerce group.. i am intrestd in journalism .. will i be able to go on with it.. will i get a good job if i take journalism..

• pady on August 13, 2012 at 3:25 am

Hi Sandhya,
      Journalism is a good career choice. It has started opening up its doors for the newbies….You can complete your 12th commerce, take up B.A(Journalism). With the number of people required in this sector, there are many agencies that are coming forward to offer internship programs to deserving candidates.
      So, relax, do well and everything will be fine.
      Pady

17. itsjusme on September 2, 2012 at 11:38 am

hey,
    i am a 12th std commerce student……i am totally confused as to what to do next…..is der any option wer we can do b.com and CS…together? if yes, plz do let me knw…..other thn journalism, CA,CS,ICWA….is der nyother course tht u knw abt……plz do lemme knw as soon as possible…

18. jay shah on September 29, 2012 at 9:03 pm

hey,
    is it true that science stream students get more salary than commerce stream?

19. Arman on February 15, 2013 at 6:22 pm

hiii i am giving exam of 12th without maths & I.T. n i dont know which career i should take ??? i am confused n i am good in computer stuff like software n hardware pls help me…

• amelia.britto on February 18, 2013 at 9:20 am

Hi, Nowadays, there are many career options available including accounting and managerial position. You can contact a career guidance counsellor to look at different career options. All the best!

20. apeksha on April 2, 2013 at 7:32 am

hello sir/ma’am
    i’m just done with my 10th board exam nd i dont know what to do! my parents are forcing me for pcm but i hate maths! i want to be a writer,editor but my mom says its not good…..i want to opt for commerce without “maths” and i love computers too…..
    can ya plz suggest me what to do….and what careers are available for me with commerce and computers…..i;m waiting
    plz help asap!!!!

• amelia.britto on April 2, 2013 at 11:14 am

Hi Apeksha, You can take up a journalism course later if you are seriously keen on being a writer/editor. If you choose to take up the commerce group, you can follow the paths listed in the article. Computer science courses require a good foundation in maths too, so doing maths would be a good move. There is a bachelor of commerce in computer science which you can also explore. All the best!

21. rohit majnekar on June 4, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Dear sir
    I really need ur help im totally confuse about my future im in 12 i have taken maths n i like maths i can do which coarse to safe my future im scare if i failed to complete c.a than my age will be like 23 or 24 tell me the carse that definitly benifit me and i can study and do hard work what can i do????? Plz email me @ rmajnekar.rm@gmail.com

• amelia.britto on June 20, 2013 at 5:31 am

Hi Rohit,

Thank you for your inquiry. If you are confident in math and have a dream of a CA career, put in the necessary preparation and you may achieve the dream. However, do not worry about the outcome as there are many opportunities opening up that you can look into according to your dreams and interests if you do not achieve this particular dream.